EC-LIB® Quick Guide
Tool - resolution and shift factor for fixed point
This tool for fixed point arithmetic provides support for resolution related calculations. It calculates the range from lowest value to highest value, the resolution and the shift factor. In addition to this it provides initialization examples for your fixed point variables.
There are two options to compute the values. Depending on the requirements, the button can be set to the options:
Adapt shift factor | Calculates the resolution based on the required lowest and highest value
1. To calculate the resolution and correct shift factor, the lowest value and/or the highest value have to be entered.
2. After the shift factor is calculated, by moving the slide bar, an altered shift factor can be chosen,
so the range and thus the resolution can be modified.
Note: When entering only one value the resolution and the shift factor are calculated based on this single value.
Choose shift factor | Calculates the resolution based on a given shift factor
Only the shift factor has to be set with the slide bar and the other fields have to be left empty. In this case the slide bar denotes the absolute shift factor. So the exact resolution and range for your fixed point variables is calculated based on the chosen shift factor.
Please note: When switching the option from adapt shift factor to choose shift factor, all input fields will be reset.
Please consider the following rules and restriction when entering data:
- Numbers can only be displayed with the following rule (+/- 0-9 . 0-9 E/e +/- 0-9)
- Comma is not a valid input. For decimal points please use the dot
- The tool supports a resolution between 10-12 and 1012